Tuesday 12 April 2011

In for service and first contact

Deutsche Version
Today in the morning I drove to the Munich MINI service center to get a scheduled change from winter tires to summer tires. As I handed the car over to the service personnel it became clear, that MINI E #014 needed not just new tires, but a complete service.
Since December 2010 #014 tried to tell me that service was needed. I always interpreted it as a test symbol during the starting procedure. So I was very embarrassed as I was told that the car needs service immediately. I leaved the MINI service center without #014 and got to work by public transportation (which was not a problem because I still have an annual ticket for the public transportation, work was just a few subway stations away and, anyway, it was too late in the morning to get a parking space at work without trouble).

In the afternoon I got a call that the service no problems emerged and #014 is ready to come back to duty. Thank you, MINI Munich, for the fast "unscheduled" service and the fully charged battery!

My first impression on the new tires was a smoother driving and less noise. Furthermore I was enjoying the new wiper blades in the upcoming rain.
The new Continental Conti Pro Contact SSR 195/55 R16 87V

On my way back home I had first contact to another species of EV. Of course I've seen many Toyota Prii, perhaps some Honda Insigths and once or twice another MINI E in the traffic. But I didn't meet any other battery electric vehicle (not even a Tesla Roadster) nor an electric vehicle with a range extender (like the announced A1 e-tron) on Munichs streets. But today I gave way to a Smart ED and followed for a few kilometers before we parted ways.
Smart ED - another species of EV on Munichs streets!

3 comments:

  1. Stefan,
    The warm weather tires you just had installed are definitely quieter than the winter tires as you noted. They also have a lower rolling resistance so you may notice a slightly better range now that they are on the car. I have documented about a 3% increase in range when they are installed. If you over-inflate them a bit you can squeeze out a bit more miles but handling may be slightly compromised. I have done this for long trips where I need all the range I can get.
    As for the service indicator, the car needs to be serviced every 8,000km. They download data from the car and check everything out. They then reset the countdown. When you start the car look quickly and you'll see how many km you have until your next service is due.

    Have fun!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    I've studied the manual once again and now I hopefully know how to interpret the signs shown.
    Sadly I have to give back #014 in two month. With my low daily mileage another service won't be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are lucky here in the US. They just extended our leases for another 6 months so I'll now have the car until December for a total of 30 months. At that time the ActiveE program begins and I can go directly from the MINI-E to the ActiveE and even transfer my special license plates!

    ReplyDelete