Tuesday 14 December 2010

MINI E in the snow

Deutsche Version

At the weekend I visited my parents again. After a 71km trip the charge level was reduced from 96% to about 25%, but I was pretty fast on the highway. During my stay I was able to recharge the MINI for about 6 hours at 12A/230V, which was sufficient to get the SoC to 86%.

Charging at 12A/230V in the heated garage
On the way back I visited an aunt. I was very relieved that I had chance to plug in MINI E for another two or three hours. So a achieved a full charged battery before driving home on the highway. Due to adverse weather conditions i drove moderately and reached home after 70km with little more than 20% SoC and 30km left.

I've parked the MINI at the return in the open, because on Monday I was not working and the garage was already occupied by the second car of the household.

MINI E 014 in the snow
The next morning the car was completely snowed. The outside temperature was -7°C, were the battery temperature was still at 16°C. After the trip the temperature was at about 35°C.

The following re-charging costs me 20kWh electricity of 20.7 Eurocents/kWh. Extrapolated to 100 km this are about 5.80 €. At the current diesel price of 1.30 €/l this corresponds to a diesel consumption of 4.5 l/100km for financial tie.

3 comments:

  1. Stefan, do monitor the battery temperature and try to keep it above 4 degrees Celsius at all times. Lower than that and the car may not accept a charge and regen will disconnect. If you find you have allowed it to get lower than that, take it out for a drive and get the temperature up before you plug in.

    On another note I was wondering if you would like to do a guest post on my MINI-E blog. It would be interesting to have you write about your experiences in Germany and I think my followers will enjoy it. Let me know what you think.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    i'm just preparing a new post with some experience on the battery temperature. This is, in fact, a crucial point for an electric vehicle.

    For the guest blog i'll contact you via facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is crucial. I am concerned that the Nissan LEAF may be under engineered in that it basically has the same passive thermal system as the MINI-E.
    It appears BMW realizes this is not viable and are going to implement an active thermal system in the BMW ActiveE and then also in the megacity vehicle. This liquid-based active thermal management system should help to alleviate most temperature related issues such as reduced range and premature battery degradation.

    ReplyDelete